Statistics can prove that businesses are looking for web designing companies and web development companies left right and center. But, nowadays the two terms are normally interchanged, that is, web companies alternate the way they describe their services.
The truth is, web development and web design represent two entirely different features of the web building process which require two unique skill sets. So, what’s the importance of differentiating the two terms? The following reasons will shed more light on the difference between the two terms.
Web Development vs. Web Design in a nutshell
Basically, web design refers to both the artistic part of the website and its usability. Various programs are used by web designers to create the design and other visual elements of the website. Adobe Photoshop is one of the primary programs employed in the designing process.
The first step of web designers is to consider the objectives of the client’s website. After this, the web designers move on to an Information Architecture (IA). The IA helps the designers to set a website’s information hierarchy and guides them in the design process.
The web designers create wireframes before moving to the design stage. Web designers can opt to use numerous basic design principles to come up with a visually pleasing design, which also offers exceptional user experience. The following design principles can be used by the web designers.
- Balance – web designers should always create a balanced layout. In web design, large and dark colors are referred to as heavy elements while small and lighter colors are referred to as light elements. Using the right proportion of each element determines whether the website design will be balanced or not.
- Contrast – the color theory states that contrasting colors are the ones placed opposite one another on the color wheel. There are a few areas where contrast can be applied in web design. Generally, web designers rely on contrasting sizes, shapes and textures to define and attract attention to particular sections of the website.
- Emphasis – this design principle is usually founded on the planned stressing of particular elements which are important in the website layout. You should understand that, if everything in the website is emphasized, nothing is emphasized. For instance, a book where 90% of its content is highlighted in bold black – nothing really stands out or makes sense in that book. Web designers normally refer to the Information Architecture to know the parts which should be emphasized.
- Consistency – this principle very crucial in web design. It can also be referred to as repetition or rhythm. Website visitors always enjoy a website where the navigation is always clean and consistent.
- Unity – this principle defines the relationship between parts of the website design and the entire of the website. This principle is based on the Gestalt theory which states that unity deals with how the human brain visually organizes information by grouping elements into categories.
Web developers, also known as programmers, use the designs provided by the web designers to develop a fully functioning website. Simply, take the plans as a non-interactive picture of the website.
The web developers take the designs and break them into different components.
They then develop the various web pages using HTML or more dynamic approach, which incorporates various programming languages to develop the website.
Experienced web developers can opt to use a Content Management System (CMS) like Joomla or WordPress. These systems streamline the development process and allow the clients to maintain and update their websites easily.